Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Creepy Complexity

I am having a feeling everything in my house has been designed by someone who is intentionally trying to kill me or make me feel stupid... Once upon a time when I was still a kid :-) I had this black and white Kingston tv which was very easy to use ...there were only three steps...

1) turn on the power

2) Select Channel

3) Wrap a long string to the hold knob on the side of the tv so I could continually adjust it from across the room by pulling the string with my feet...

4) and we used to have this huge antenna which resembled the rib cage of some alien .Some one had to climb up the vantage point and manually rotate the antenna for tuning if the picture quality was not clear.I always thought lightning will kill someone doing it some day. never happened :-(

This Tv now pisses me off...You have your own mini dish antenna that communciates with a satellite ...I am afraid I will hit the wrong button on my remote and turn off the life support systems on the Russian space station .I dont want that on my conscience...btw i think my tv is on the verge of becoming a sentient life form..its switches on and off randomly...just to tease me I guess...(sentient is a word i learned from watching Star Trek episodes back when I used a string to change channels)
Its tempting to think we can compensate for the complexity of modern life by improving the educational system...but education isnt the fix-all solution that everyone wants it to be.There are only two types of education :

1) Useful
2) Useless

If you are foolish enought to one of those useful educations like a computer science engineering degree,everything you knew will be obsolete in two years.The rest of what you learn for the remainder of your life will come from reading brouchers of ipods and dish tvs and software requirement and design documents if you happen to be in IT...That is why i majored in Electrical and Electronics even when I clearly knew I will be in the IT industry and that I can blog at 1030 am at home without thinking of a boss with smoke coming out of his ears and nose ready to yell at me...I am my boss here..Anyway that is why I majored in Electronics ,With electronics you never have to worry that your degree will become less relevant over time.I mean,how the hell could it? Initially i used to try to use my EEE knowledge on my first job out of college...I used to write code for touch screen monitors used for online gaming in casinos ...but soon realised my EEE knowledge was more of a burden than help ...I tried using Karnaugh maps in a relevant way ...wasnt helpful...my colleagues were happily making money without any pain...they had all apparently forgotten what college had taught them...they fine tune themselves to the project they work on..and that becomes their spectrum of knowledge...i found it weird...so many years of slogging ...have gone waste...some nutcase in Bay area who calls himself the CEO of your company is minting money in dollars...because of of your time...Stupidity is immune to education...we are being buried in the growing complexity of the world-which makes us stupider everyday and we have no strategy for survival...
Our only hope in the future is that a charismatic figure will emerger and rid the world of creeping ,sadistic complexity before it's too late..May it will be me ,the Mahathma :p

7 comments:

PurpleHeart said...

Are u on a race to post max no: of posts/week ?

PurpleHeart said...

By the ways...from TV to education to Software...it was a very complex connectivity !

Zak said...

no I dont compete with anyone ! No one is worth it !

I me and myself is my world and I rule it !

Clover said...

tv's without remote controls..i dont even remember those days!!
and i did ECE and i think its quite useless cos i dont remember much and technology changes everyday and my textbooks where from the 1600's...

Zak said...

that would have been the original pirates of the carribean handbook that you studied in ECE

Clover said...

it was the first discovery of electricity textbook that they renamed optical comm and mobile comm

Jude said...

hi cloverr. i liked the pigs.